Monday, December 10, 2012

Meet the Team - Ling

Meet Ling, one of our most versatile dancers and the talent behind Pineapple branding...


> Can you tell us few words about you?

My name is Ling, originally from Taiwan. I work as a graphic designer. I stumbled into my first dance class on a sunny day more 10 years ago. After lots of sunny (and not so sunny) days, I still love going to dance classes.


> How are you involved in the Jukebox Dance Show?

I was one of the dancers for the previous season. This time around(the Auckland show), with my brand new baby, I am not able to make all the dance rehearsals, so I won’t be dancing. Instead I will be creating promotional materials/design works for the show.



> When and why did you start dancing? What about branding/graphic design?

As mentioned earlier, I only started dancing a bit over 10 years ago. The girls at uni talked about this really fun dance class by this really hot teacher, Gandalf Archer, and asked me to go along. Gandalf was and still is hot, but I was immediately hooked on the actual feeling of dance. The endorphins and the sense of familiarity was magical. It felt so natural and I couldn’t believe I waited so long to try my first dance class.

Design came naturally. The artistic genetics is in the family. My sisters and I would ‘design’ perfume bottles and shoes when we were only 5 or 6 years old. I was that kid who’s good at drawing in class, all the way to university. Going to art school was a given. I have been extremely blessed by this obvious interest, and it’s been smooth sailing in terms of career.


> When, how and why did you start working with Pineapple Productions?

I met Julie, the founder, in her Contemporary class. I instantly fell in love with her style. I came every week and started other classes such as Broadway and Jazz. I also went to every audition Julie held. I think she realised what a stalker I was, and offered me a place in the company.


> What do you bring to the table as a graphic designer and what kind of experience does Pineapple give you in that field?

Most tasks are team effort. Let me tell you a secret talent of Julie. She not only is our founder and choreographer for the company, she also writes codes and builds websites! I would design initial concepts, and our super talented girls in the group including Julie are capable to take over and complete the tasks without me. I get to do illustration, branding, website and all print materials. It’s our baby and the brand is still constantly growing and evolving.



> Why did you decide to take part in the Jukebox Dance Show? What attracts you in this show?

I dedicate my time to the show because of the people. Everyone here is so talented and driven to bring the best to audience. You don’t get to be part of a group this special everyday. This experience is definitely something I’d look back years later.


> Do you have a favourite choreography in the setlist?

Babies of the blitz for the vintage flavour and Shake it out or any Contemporary numbers for the love of artistic style.







No comments:

Post a Comment